I am an Elizabeth Messina fan, you? So, when she emailed photographs of her friend Elizabeth Colling’s new Pop-Up Pie venture I knew I wanted to share (how could I not?). Elizabeth Colling’s name might seem familiar to you as well since she is one of the food editors at the illustrious Martha Stewart Living empire (a huge stamp of food approval). The pie I am featuring is a chocolate ganache with chocolate cookie crust (did you just gain 5 pounds reading that?). I better show off the pie so you can really get the full effect….
Pies come in re-useable tart pan and are $43 per pie (there’s three other delicious flavors-double crusted apple brown butter, southern pecan with a classic pate brisee crust and pumpkin with graham cracker crust). Pies can be picked up in beautiful Montecito, California at the Jenni Kayne Home Store on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 and there will be limited shipping available too, just contact Elizabeth Colling for details!
Miss Tristan B. is the proprietress of Besotted Brand and the writer of this delightful blog. She recently re-located to sunny Seattle with her handsome husband and two pups, they are expecting a baby girl in December (possibly November). Her lofty goal here is to make this a creative resource repository and to inspire you to fall truly, madly, deeply in love with your life.
For those that can’t make it to Montecito, are out of shipping distance or those that are just feeling inspired Elizabeth Colling is generously sharing her recipe with us!
Chocolate Tart by Elizabeth Colling
Makes 1- 9 inch tart
1 box (9 ounces) chocolate wafer cookies, finely ground
9 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse the cookies until finely ground. Add the butter, sugar and salt and process until well combined.
2. Press mixture firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 ½ inch tart pan.
3. Bake until crust is firm, about 10 minutes.
7 ounces bittersweet chocolate (around 60%-65%)
1 cup cream
1 large egg, room temperature
¼ cup whole milk
1½ tablespoons butter, softened
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Chop the chocolate and place in a medium size bowl. Place the cream in a small pot and bring just to a boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let sit for 1 minute. Stir until the chocolate has completely melted and the mixture is homogeneous.
2 Place the bowl of ganache on top of a pot of simmering water. Whisk in the egg, the milk and the butter.
3. Pour this mixture into the tart shell and bake until the edges of the tart are set and the middle is just barely set, about 15-20 minutes.
4. Serve warm or at room temperature with fleur de sel and crème fraiche